Hong Kong BN(O) Visa

Hong Kong BN(O) Visa

Application requirements

  • Main applicant needs to hold BNO status (can be a valid or expired BNO passport)
  • Good character (if the applicant has any criminal record, bankruptcy record, visa refusal record, further declaration and explanation are required, and the UK authority might request for additional documents)
  • Ordinary residence in Hong Kong (if the applicant is currently residing overseas, or holds a visa or nationality from another country, the applicant needs to further declare the previous immigration record and explain how they can meet the requirement of permanent residency in Hong Kong)
  • Have sufficient funds to live in the UK for 6 months
  • Pass a tuberculosis test

Family application

BN (O) status holder route

The BNO status holder can apply with the following dependents:

  • Spouse, including married couple, same-sex partners, unmarried partners 
  • Dependent children or grandchildren under the age of 18


Adult Dependent Relative 

  • Parents or other adult dependents without BN(O) passport status can apply to join the main applicant in the UK if they can demonstrate a high degree of dependence: 

    (a) Their age, illness, or disability requires long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks

    (b) the applicant is unable to access care in Hong Kong, even with the practical and financial support of the  a BN(O) status holder. 


BN (O) Household Member route

  • Adult child born on or after 1 July 1997, with at parent with BN(O) passport status. 
  • Eligible applicants may apply together with their spouse (including married spouse, same-sex partners or the partner who has lived together for two years), their children and adult dependents.

Visa length

  • You can apply for either a 5-year or a 2.5-year visa with a further 2.5-year extension.
  • If you did not land the UK within 180 days upon your visa approval, or did not reside in the UK continuously for 5 years, you can apply for visa extension at Year 5 to extend your stay in the UK. 

PR and Citizenship

Permanent Residency: 

  • Applicants must have lived in the UK for 5 consecutive years and must not have left the UK for more than 180 days in any consecutive 12 months during the 5-year period.
  • Spouse dependent and children aged over 18 at the time of the PR application can apply for PR on their own.
  • Children aged under 18 must apply with both parents for PR, unless one parent has sold child custody or other exemption applied. 
  • All persons aged between 18 and 64  need to pass the Life in the UK test, and hold the relevant English requirements  or hold a University degree certificate taught in English. 
  • The current processing time for PR application is 6 months (normal service) and 5 working days (priority service). 

British Citizenship: 

  • Applicants will need to live for one more year after obtaining permanent residency and apply British Citizenship in year 6. 
  • Applicants cannot leave the UK for more than 450 days in the 5 years before the British Citizenship application, and cannot leave the UK for more than 90 days within the last 12 months before the application.
  • BNO passports will be applying for Registration, while HKSAR or other passport holders will be applying for Naturalisation. 
  • The current processing time for British citizenship application is 6 months. 

Visa Benefits and Conditions

  • Applicants and family dependents are allowed to work and study in the UK. 
  • Children can enjoy free education in primary and secondary schools. 
  • Applicants are not allowed to receive any public funds. 

10 Key Q&A’s

Many of our clients have been inquiring about the eligibility of applying BN(O) visa. We have summarized the most frequently asked questions for your reference. If you have any questions, please arrange a consultation with our team to discuss your circumstances. 

  • Full guidance and support throughout the application
  • Provide you with a list of documents required for your application
  • Drafting personal statement to explain your background and circumstances
  • Checking all supporting documents to ensure eligibility
  • Completion of application forms and upload of documents
  • Liaising with the UK Visa and Immigration Department on your behalf
  • Referral service for property rental and purchase, education consultancy for independent schools, UK tax and accountancy advice, shipping and relocation, pet immigration services.

If you apply via the visa centre, you will need to land in the UK within 90 days.

If you apply via the “UK Immigration: ID check” app, you will need to land the UK within 180 days in order to fulfil the residency rules for PR application. 

How much you need depends on how many family members are applying with you. For example, you’ll need about:

  • £2,000 as a single adult
  • £3,100 as a couple with a child
  • £4,600 as a couple with 3 children
  • £9,200 as a couple with 2 parents and 2 adult children

Applicants will need to provide a valid TB certificate from one of the approved clinics in HK. The certificate is valid for six months and it must be valid at the date of the visa application (instead of the date of landing in the UK). 

The official processing time is 12 weeks, which is around 3 months. 

Latest News:

The UK Home Office has announced that starting from 14th August 2023, they will introduce a Priority service for BNO visa applications, allowing applicants with urgent travel plan to receive a decision within 5 working days.

The UK Home Office stated that this policy continues the UK’s unwavering commitment to the people of Hong Kong.

Under the current Immigration laws, if your child is aged under 18, you will have to apply as a family unit, unless you have the sole custody of the child. 

If your child is already aged over 18, you can apply with your child and you do not need to include your spouse in the application. 

After five years, if your child is still under 18 years old, both parents will need to fulfil the residency requirements (no more than 180 days absence during any 12 months) in order for the child to apply PR. 

Single parent applicants need to hold the child’s sole custody issued by the family court and the consent letter for the child to leave Hong Kong. Relevant legal documents are mandatory when applying for the visa.
Currently, the UK Home Officer indicates that you can apply for children and parents over 18 years old (adult dependent). However, the UK Home Office will assess the applicants’ circumstances on a case-by-case basis to determine whether the applicant meets the relevant conditions.

The UK Home Office will consider the applicant’s past criminal records including the type of conviction, the date of the crime, the sentence imposed, whether the applicant was sentenced to imprisonment and so forth to make decision case-by-case.

If you have previously declared bankruptcy, you will need to confirm whether the bankruptcy order has been dissolved and declare this on the application form. 

Please contact us for further information about your criminal or bankruptcy record in order for us to advise further. 

You need to provide at least three items of proof of address (e.g. utility bills, bank statements or any official correspondence) to confirm your permanent address in HK. 

If you have been residing in other countries for study, work or family reasons, we will need to assess your immigration history and your current visa state in your current country to assess your eligibility (e.g. whether you have already obtained PR or citizenship in that country is an important consideration).